A good knife is a chef’s best friend. Your kitchen is simply incomplete without a set of higher quality kitchen knives. Several renowned companies are offering different types of knives at different prices. Some are charging real high and some rates are within the reach. But, the fact is that price never determines the quality. Even a fabulous set of knives that you bought last week from the supermarket at higher prices, may not have great quality.
You may get a real super quality knife at half of the cost, if you really know what to look for. While proceeding to buy a knife, the first thing that you need to consider is which one to pick. For selecting the right one, a fair knowledge regarding the available variety is a must. So, let’s see what’s waiting for us.
Different knife edges
- Wavy edges: Knives with edges are particularly designed for cutting soft products with hard skins. The teeth of the knife are prefect for tearing the hard skins and are thinner than the plain edges of the knife.
- Straight edges: Knives with straight edges are perfect for cutting raw vegetables, meat and other objects. This is the widely used knife of your set of knives. These edges are perfect for executing fine and clear cuts. For better cutting, the knife has to be very sharp indeed. In need of sharpening, sharpening steel can be used.
- Granton Edge: Here, the edges are with hollowed out grooves and suitable for cutting meats finely without tearing it. The hollows help the meat to glide without restrict the sticking.
Types of the knives
This is the widely used knife that can be found almost in every kitchen. The versatility of the knife lies from chopping meats to slicing vegetables and fruits. Most of the chef’s knives have a broad blade curving upward towards the tip for giving better mincing experience.
The upper part of the blade is thick enough that adds extra weight while cutting. Different sizes are available in the chef’s knife including 6, 8, 10 and 12 inches. The knives with longer blades though cut swiftly, but really difficult to handle. Choose one that you can perfectly handle. It will reduce the chances of accidents too.
A common and vital part of your kitchen knife set. Usually, a paring knife has 3 to 4 inch blade. This type of knives demands greater control and particularly used for performing intricate jobs. But, all the paring jobs, excluding the bird’s beak can be used in kitchen for daily work. Paring knives also have variety.
- Bird’s beak: This one is used for peeling the round fruits like apple. For preforming any intricate and precise cut, bird’s beak is excellent.
- Sheep’s foot: This one is perfect for peeling and paring fruits and vegetables. This one has a sharp straight blade for cutting.
- Wavy edge: For cutting soft foods with hard skin. For example, tomato.
- Clip point: To remove the pits from olives, clip point paring knives are perfect. This one is generally used for peeling vegetables and fruits.
- Boning: For extracting meats from the bones, this knife is perfect.
- Chef’s: A miniature form of your chef’s knife and perform similarly as well.
If you don’t bother to cut fish or meats, or else prefer to eat canned one, this knife is not for you. But, if you do it, then you must have a set of boning knives. From extracting meats from the bones, boning knives are unparalleled. Along with varying stiffness, boning knives have a wide blade too.
You can see the variety here too. A narrow boning knife is used to cut ribs and cartilage. When you want to cut chicken and pork, go with the wide boning life. Curved boning knives should be used to cut meats around the bones. Though they all are desiged to use to perform different work, there is no harm in using them in daily activities but carefully.
As the name suggests, this one is used for cutting the loaf of the breads. It’s a thick bladed knife with edges to tear the hard crust of the bread. This knife is not prefect for cutting or peeling vegetables and fruits.
It’s a thick-bladed knives, that can be used to chop meats and vegetables. The weight of the cleaver knives is perfect for performing such tasks. This knife can’t be used for slicing products.
For performing miscellaneous task, the utility knives are perfect. These knives are generally larger than the paring knife, but not as the chef’s knife.
Sometimes, it’s known as the sandwich knife too. The edges can also be straight or serrated, choose one that meets your demand.
While choosing your kitchen knives, concentrating more on your personal requirement is necessary. But, before buying the set of knives few things should consider in selecting the best knives. The first thing is the quality of the steel. If the steel is of poor quality, it really does not matter how much you have paid for the set, all will be in vain.
The second one is gripping. Before buying the knife, hold it in your hand and ask yourself whether is it the one you are looking for? Is it comfortable enough or not? A good balance is equally important in selecting the knives.